Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Montreal Part Deux (Not fluent. Yet...)

So, the whole purpose of me coming to Montreal (or atleast the fake purpose to get me back up here without feeling as though I am frittering away my money) was to visit Concordia University and meet the faculty of the Communication Dept. and check on the status of my application. After checking out of hostel and meeting up with my couchsurfing host (its a netwroking system for travelers who are willing to share their couches for free...) who is a costume designer and very French, though her English is impressive and better than some Southerners I know, I headed across town to the school. I grabbed a cup of coffee at a shop near the campus, and asked the whereabouts of the journalism building - the girl working at the coffee shop had just graduated from Concordia with a major in...you guessed it...journalism! She pointed me toward the building so latte in hand I headed to check it out. After wondering around the amazing building that is only two years old, incredibly technologically savvy and entirely devoted to media studies, I found the office I was looking for and introduced myself to the administratvie assistant (that is right, we never use the word receptionist any more) and she led me to the department chairs assistant. After a brief intro to the school she led me to the board director of admissions to make sure all my pieces and parts of my application were complete. She asked me my last name in front of him and as I spelled out D-U-N-N he said, Ah the one from Colorado, youère applying for the fellowhip (no question mark, french keyboard). Its good to put a face to a name. And then, as if that were not enough to put a pep in my step, the co-chair of the department encouraged me to speak with the other department chair as our research interests align and if I got the fellowship I would be working with her. So. Keep your fingers crossed. If I get the fellowship the university would pay for all of my tuition and a living stipend. Cha-ching. The city was windy and cold today with a good foot of snow on the ground. Boo hiss. Tomorrow, Mont Placè hike, hunting down a pair of sneakers, and meeting with the department chair...wish me luck.

No comments: