Thursday, January 24, 2008

Aurevoir Montreal

My last day in Montreal was full, fun, and fricking cold. I climbed up Mont Royal (a stunning 764 feet above sea level) and got a good view of the city in panorama. I comtemplated several times chopping off my bad little pinky to save it from the hypothermia that was sure to kill it anyways. I hiked up and down Mont Royal and St. Denise streets and then made the biggest mistake I have made since arriving here: I went into a gourmet grocery store in a solidly French neighborhood while hungry. Figs were sold by weight...I thought...but I suppose if my biggest mistake is spending ten Canadian dollars on figs I am doing alright. My bonours and bonsois are getting good enough that I can play off the fact that I hardly know any words besides those two, but if they ask me if I need a bag I am kind of screwed. Ahhhh. You are American. And then in flawless English they rub their bilingual education in my face: Do you want a bag... No, Merci. Your welcome. My train leaves at 9:30 in the AM, and I might go ice skating at the metro before it departs if I can get up early enough. Or maybe I will spend the time at a coffee shop watching French Candaians scuddle around and talk in their cute little accents for a little longer...

No comments: