Saturday, February 2, 2008

PDX Squared

I'm sitting in the Portland airport again. This time headed to ATL then Austin to get my car -- a nap at the Joyces (my surrogate family in Austin) and hopping on the road. The red eye is full with a Costa Rican soccer team headed home. A big bunch of them. Hopefully they have been drugged with melatonin. It's raining surprise surprise. I think I'm ready for a dose of the south. Wow my sentences are choppy.

Headed to Seattle for two days by train and rode along the coast. The clouds cleared up just long enough on my way out of town so that I could see the mountains - really different than Colorado mountains but just as incredible. Spent some time in Pike's Market, went to the first Starbucks, ate at a hole-in-the-wall cured meat shop, had LOTS of coffee, and checked out the Seattle Library....AMAZING. Between Powell's in Portland and the Seattle library I'm on a Lit. high. Architecture of the library was incredibly modern, they have a conveyor belt shelve books and the longest running dewey decimal system thats marked on the floor and winds up six floors of non-fiction. Not for the faint at heart. Saw a friend from high school and a friend from college who took me to a record store and took me into the archive basement - literally shelves upon shelves of vinyl sorted alphabetically and by genre. Amazing.

No comments: